2013년 2월 14일 목요일

My Grandmother...


<My grandmother>
 
     My grandmother is eighty eight years old in Korean age. She was born in 1925, November 22nd. I had to ask my father in order to know this fact to write down this paragrah. This was how I was not taking care of my grandmother and thinking about her in my life. I thought grandmother is too far away from me and I believed that grandmother is just a person who is my father’s mother. I never thought about my grandmother except when I visit her house in Holidays. Furthermore, I was making excuses for not visiting her house at holidays because I had to study since I am now a highschool student. After I entered my highschool, Korean Minjok Leadership Academy, I didn’t met her or I say I didn’t had chance to meet her.
     When my first years in highschool was about to end, I had a phone call from my mother. My mother said that your grandmother is in hospital and she is in a room where really sick people stay. I said ok to my mom and thought about that situation for a moment. It wasn’t a phenomenon to just say ok, it was a situation when I have to worry about my grandmother. I was just a undutiful grandchild to my grandmother. After that phone call, I started worrying about my grandmother. Whether she will die soon or she will be cured and come back to her house again. But, this worry was too late. For my entire life, seventeen years, I didn’t actually worried or gave a phone call to my grandmother by myself. I was just a bad kid to my grandmother.
     Although, I was not thinking about her for a moment, my grandmother was always giving loves to me and my brother. Whenever she says “Eat more”, “Eat more”, it was tiring for me to say “I’m full.” So I ignored it every time when she cared about me. I didn't know that was love to grandchildren until I heard the news that my grandmother is sick. I phone called my mother back to ask when we can visit grandmother’s hospital. My mom answered me back by saying “We can visit when you come at weekends.” Finally, I could see my grandmother’s face which I wasn’t able to saw for almost two years. It was too surprising to see her face and her body. I was expecting my grandmother to walk out and say hello to me but, she wasn’t even able to speak nor stand. At that time, I started crying. I was just too sorry to my grandmother and what I did was regretful.
     Today is Korean Holiday where we meet out grandparents and other family members. However, since our grandmother is sick, we weren’t able to visit her house and meet other families. My grandfather died before I was born, and I don’t want to lose my grandmother who cared about me so much. I know I wasn’t a good child to my grandmother and I know it is too late to be good to her. But, I sincerely hope my grandmother gets back well and again greets me with smile on her face.
     After I wrote this down, I could sleep with my grandmother in my mind. I had a good night sleep and when I was eating breakfast, I heard a unbelievable news from my father. He told me that we have to go to Pohang city, which is my grandmother’s home town. I asked him why, and he said “Your grandmother died a few minutes ago.” I could pick another spoon of rice since I was too shocked. There was suddenly a tear falling down from my eyes. I packed up all the things needed for my school because Koreans carry out funeral for three days. We left our home at 1 pm and it took us about five hours to arrive at Pohang city.
     At first, when I arrived at my grandmother’s funeral, I felt nothing but gloominess. I could meet my cousins at the funeral. They were also sad but not crying yet. We greeted guests who are related to our family members. It was really harder than I thought to greet other people because many people came late at night. I and my family could sleep only for four to five hours. We were all tired and three days of funeral ended. At the last day, we put grandmother’s body inside the ground where my grandfather is buried. At that moment, I was so sad that I couldn’t stop crying. I could realize that grandmother is no long alive.
     Grandmother’s funeral left me a lot of lessons. During the funeral, I thought about all the bad things that I have done to my grandmother. So I promised that when my parents die, I will be able to think all the good things that I did to my parents rather than bad things. Three days was the most sad days that I had in my life. I hope my grandmother would rest in peace.
 

댓글 1개:

  1. Wow. A very emotional and moving read. You made me think a lot about my own grandparents, and that is sign of good story telling and confession - getting your reader to think and empathize.

    I am 36 and have a grandfather I'm very close to who is now 95. I call him every couple of weeks, and every time I visit Canada I wonder "is this the last time." The circle of life only presents more questions the older you get, but it does teach us lessons. Sorry to hear about your loss, but I think your writing this essay is a nice tribute to her, and your own growth experience. Good to see such honest extra writing. :)

    답글삭제

Thank you for your comments!